Reno, Nevada: Andelin Family Farms, based in Sparks, NV., held their 11th annual "PUMPKINS FOR AUTISM" fundraiser for ACON on September 28th 2023! Thank you Natalie and Cameron Andelin for the incredible $1400 donation to ACON, and for hosting over 250 people that day! We cannot wait for October 2024!
Reno, Nevada: The Reno Elks Lodge 597 held their 5th Annual "SCRAMBLE FOR AUTISM" Golf Tournament to support ACON! These amazing supporters raised over $5000 for our autism families! THANK YOU Reno Elks 597!
Falynne Lewing's charity show "Michael Jackson: A THRILLING Tribute" gave an incredible performance on May 6th, 2023 at the Saenger Theatre to support ACON! Falynne, together with her incredible team from Red Hot Productions and guest performers from LaBelle Performing Arts in Pensacola, Florida helped to raise more than $12K for ACON once again. We are so grateful to this group of talented people!
We have combined efforts and have had tremendous success in gaining legislation that has created extraordinary changes in the state of Nevada. In recent years, we have collectively managed to reform statewide public policy addressing awareness and the availability of appropriate services across the lifespan for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and related Neurodevelopmental Disorders. We are especially grateful to our supporters, lawmakers, families, and caregivers who have stood with us in realizing our mission.. Due to the combined efforts of our members and our supporters, AB 162 was put into law. Nevada became the 11th State to mandate insurance coverage for the treatment of ASD.
Through the passage of AB 316 and AB 345, the Autism Treatment Assistance Program (ATAP) was adopted into Nevada’s Aging and Disability Services Division. This legislative action allows ATAP to receive a higher priority in the state budget to fund appropriate responses to changes and/or new challenges that may arise in the needs of the Autism community.
In 2017, SB286 was passed in support of autism insurance coverage and rates for RBT and BCBA therapists – to expedite treatments.
In 2019, ACONfacilitated the passing of #SB216, #SB174 and #SB202 during the 2019 Nevada Legislature Session! We continue to support state and federal budget initiatives that facilitate the needs of our autism community through Legislative testimony, and community engagement.
Recently, ACON spearheaded crucial legislation that enhances the lives of our autism population throughout Nevada. Thanks to Senator Heidi Gansert and Governor Lombardo, SB 191 was signed into law during the 2023 Legislative Session - increasing the age limit for autism services through age 26!! This is a monumental accomplishment - giving individuals an additional 5 years of autism services in alignment with Federal Law.
In addition, we partnered with the Clark County DAAY Court and Sentator James Ohrenschall to expand access to the DAAY Court benefits throughout the state of Nevada! SB 411 was signed into law by Governor Lombardo this legislative session as well!
We are so proud of the many accomplishments you have helped us in achieving. We must continue to focus on our mission. Join us as we continue our efforts to move forward in meeting all of our objectives now and in the future. Our ability to share our compassion and care is limitless.
- Continuing our mission of outreach, welcoming new parents, individuals and organizations on as members of our Coalition, provide financial support to families who need it to gain access to medical treatments and therapies, and to promote future success of the programs, events, projects, and educational opportunities brought to us by our Board and by all of our new ACON members.
- To continue our mission to raise the maximum level of awareness, funding, education and advocacy for more than 8500 individuals in Nevada who have AUTISM. It is our goal to devote our time, energy, and financial resources to the cause and to elevate the hopes and expectations of Nevadans when it comes to Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Continuing Our Long Term Goals 2024
- Facilitate the advancement of scientific research by aligning ACON with the top research institutions around the world such as the UC Davis MIND Institute, the Kennedy-Krieger Institute, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, the International Society for Autism Research (INSAR), and many more.
- Further program requirements for early intervention and childhood education programs
- Addressing respite care issues for families with members who are effected by ASD throughout Nevada
- Continue to address job training issues for adults, and young adults diagnosed with ASD and other neurodevelopmental disorders
- Continue to develop our statewide Community Partnership Program to facilitate cconnection for our autism population and to effect legislation.
- Address adult issues related to Autism Spectrum Disorders across the Lifespan
- Provide financial supports to qualifying families in need of assistance so that they may get their child evaluated, diagnosed, medically treated, and set up with all necessary therapeutic interventions.
- Expand services and access to resources to families in rural Nevada via online VIRTUAL Meetings and LIVE Virtual Town Hall Meetings
- Facilitate connection between individuals and families in need of assistance with our statewide partners in autism advocacy
- Improve the lives of individuals with AUTISM by earnestly advocating at the Nevada Legislature alongside our state representatives!